Monday, February 09, 2009

Oven time


Pork roast in the oven

Since just before Christmas all my meals that I've eaten at home have been made in the crock pot (slow cooker). While the food was starting to get good, I managed to solve the dry meat issue, I decided today to cook using the conventional oven.

It was a small pork roast with carrots, onions, garlic, celery, potatoes and homemade apple sauce, all submerged in a cheap $7 blackberry merlot. The pork came out great but there was something with the taste I didn't like.

It might have been the blackberry flavor or the potassium sorbate that this particular bottle of wine uses to preserve the flavor or maybe it was the sulfiting agents (whatever those are) that don't seem to be listed on my other bottles of wine.

Let it be known that I'm no wine expert. I don't do taste tastes or look at the legs of a wine. Heck, I don't even sniff the cork. I've only been using wine in my last few batches of crock potting and what I can tell you is that the Merlot from Baron Philippe de Rothschild (france) and the the Little Penguin Chardonnay (australia) taste great in cooking. They are relatively inexpensive (around $10 to $13 a bottle).

My cousin Lance told me you get what you pay for when it comes to wine. For $3 more I could have gotten another Merlot from France. Ah well. Live and learn.

No comments: