Sunday, March 02, 2008

Remembering Jeff Healey


Jeff Healey and fan Natasha Marchand at Healey's
May 24, 2003 - 17:50

While I never knew Jeff Healey personally, I did get to meet him once. Natasha, my room mate at the time, wanted to see him play at Healey's (Jeff's bar located on Bathurst and Queen). I remember it being a smoky crowded basement, with a low ceiling. As we wondered through the crowd Natasha exclaimed "Look, It's Jeff!!". Jeff had just finished a set and was talking to someone in the corner.

Natasha wanted to get a picture taken with him but was too nervous to go up and meet the "famous musician". I told her she could walk up beside him and I'd snap a photo and he wouldn't even notice (after all he is blind you know). The sneaky photo while possibly funny seemed wrong. In the end I went up to him and asked him out right. He was more than happy to have his picture taken with a shy intimidated fan.

Since then there have been numerous times I could have met him again but the way things worked out I never did and now he's gone. I'm glad I met him once.

Below are photos I took that day of Jeff and his band playing. Enjoy the photos. Remember Jeff and his music.


Jeff plays guitar






No comments: