Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Into the Wii hours


The Wii on the web

Didn't do a lot today. Went to an all you can eat sushi place with William for lunch, slept then played Tomb Raider on the Wii. My laptop has been tied up backuing up my blog. Yes, Still. I've been trying different settings in order to not download the entire web.

To check my email I've installed the internet channel on the Wii. By accident I ran across a arcade console for $800.00 CAN. It was Pengo. I loved, loooooved that game, in high school. It had eaten a many a quarter. I spent hours in front of that machine at the arcade.

While I didn't have the money or space for a full sized console I was disappointed that the unit sold back in october of last year. Drat. Then I remembered something about a PC emulator that one of my friends used to fiddle with. It was years ago but I thought I'd check the web for it anyway.

Doing a bit of research on the web I found it. It's called MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). An emulator that uses images of the original arcade game and allows you to play them on your computer. I found the link for the Pengo images at CAESAR and within minutes had Pengo up and running on my laptop. How cool is that? (yes, I cancelled the blog backing up just to play Pengo).


Pengo, one of favourite video games from the 80s


The Pengo game grid.

No comments: