Sunday, May 27, 2007

Deep Wireless


A panoramic view of the main room for the Deep Wireless conference

Today was the last day of the Deep Wireless conference and it didn't occur to me until today that the attendees that made up the conference flew in from all over. Halifax to B.C., Germany to the U.S., even Nepal.

As the day's activities wound down I managed to talk to some of the people about their projects and what they thought of the event. Even though I'm not a sound geek I can appreciate the work involved. A boring technical topic was made interesting by just listening to the enthusiastic person speaking.

That's the nice thing about the conference being small. The people that attend are that much more full of energy. It's their passion and consequently it hard not to get interested. Their energy is contagious.

When was the last time you went to a conference and were being sold a product or given a lecture by a "hired gun"? Usually, I have found, the person is the type that's waiting for the day to be over so they can go home. Their interest in being at the conference is just to make their hours and their money. Some guy with a monotone voice with no energy what so ever, or the other extreme, the guy filled with too much energy going for the hard sell but doesn't really know what he's talking about and can't answer a more detailed question when asked to explain things in more detail. Kind of reminds me of those sales people at FutureShop... oh they bug me (most of them anyway).

I managed to try out my new camera panoramic gear as things slowed down. (See above and click for a larger image). The results were amazing! I stitched the 17 photos on automatic with the only entry being the lens (28mm x the Nikon modifier of 1.52). The resulting photo was seamless. At 300 dpi I could print the image out 5 feet by 1 foot approx. Neato!

No comments: