Friday, December 08, 2006

Health and Art


From the refrigerator at Olga's Health food store.

It was really cold today. I found myself walking up to a health food store to see if I could be any assistance to the owner in helping her set up a website. Ingrid, of GAT had told me about Olga and her need to have a presence on the web.

To set the record straight, I am not a web person, nor do I wish to be. Back in the day I thought making your own web site was cool but also very limited. A lot has changed since the early 90s and web programming is much more interesting and media rich. Perhaps one day I might start playing around for the sake of having a hobby but for now no.

That said I still try to help out the people not in the know. Olga, the owner of the food store needed some web pointers. Types of web pages out there, what hosts to use, what hosts are, that sort of thing. For the exchange in info I was given some tiny packs of Stevia to try out.

Stevia is a natural sweetener to replace sugar. It's been banned in the US for use in manufacturing products as "it hasn't been tested long enough". The real reason behind the banning of stevia is more likely that it's a plant and cannot be patented like products such as Aspartame. Despite the "not enough testing" in the States, stevia has been used in Japan and South America for over 80 years. For more information on stevia and aspartame check out the aspartame (nutra sweet) toxicity info center.

Later on in the evening, off to the art gallery. Tonight's work featured a photographer. The photos contained trees and a blue element to them for the most part. It was like looking out a bunch of windows into a forest. Well that was my impression. The main image had a wooden shack surrounded by trees (you might be able to make it out in the following picture, on the right).


...to the Art Gallery With Emmanuel in his suave new coat

Seeing photographs larger than 4x6 is a nice change. There are details that pop out that would be normally to small to see. Seeing these large images was inspiring. I'll have to try thinking up some kind of theme and doing a show.

No comments: