Monday, November 13, 2006

Backyard Critters


A blue jay stuffing itself with peanuts

Feeling the blahs, today the highlight became going out into the backyard to shoot some of the indigenous creatures. I was surprised by the blue jays that showed up. Last year when I had the bird photography fascination (click here, or maybe here), I had noticed that blue jays were among the more skittish birds to shoot. They would fly away as soon as you looked over at them, never mind walking up to them. Today they were just a few meters away coaxed by, of all things, peanuts meant to attract the squirrels.


The neighborhood squirrel.

I spent about an hour, maybe two, on my stomach lying on the cold patio tile waiting the the birds to get closer. This is where a nice 600mm lens would come in. I've put the link there in case anyone feels real generous this Christmas. Don't feel obligated to buy it as a Christmas gift, I'd be happy anytime I get this. Actually I could use a 28-70mm f2.8 lens more practically than the back breaking 600mm f4.

2 comments:

Zap Brannigan said...

Sorry BagelHot but the choice between buying you a nice Christmas gift and paying off the balance on my car is really a no brainer.

BagelHot said...

It's true but I really think your family needs the car more.