Friday, September 02, 2005

Micronauts


The 2004 line of Micromen.

After the day of wrapping cables and checking in video equipment the show rented from Panavision I slept... a lot. When I woke up it was about 1:30pm. I went to the IATSE 667 office and pay my yearly dues and followed it up by heading over across the street to Monster Records. Roger, the proprietor of this fine establishment, showed be some pictures he took in Ireland mixed with some pictures of some action figures.

Yes, I blame him for re-introducing me to the micronauts, now known as micromen. A toy line I thought to be extinct, now resurrected by some japanese toy company. They have brought out new merchadise along with remakes of the old stuff. I might add that the old toy figures look exactly the same as they did back in the 70s. They didn't steriod them up like the american remakes of the star wars figures.

The cool thing about these action figures is that they have multiple joints for those action poses. They do not just bend at the hip, shoulders and neck. Wrist, ankles, knees, elbows, hips, upper torso. They also have multiple hands that are interchangable (no... there's no vulcan salute). Open hand, fist, pointing with two fingers, clutching hand, clutching hand with bendable wrist.

After looking through Roger's bookmarked toy catalog online I ended up at the Silver Snail (comic book store) where all Japanese toys were on sale. 10% off. Okay it wasn't a great sale, but it was all the excuse I needed to impulse buy a few figures. Along with the standard translucent micronaut figures they had Mark from Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), Batman, cat woman, chun-li (street fighter), Alien versus Predator and my favorite a micronaut that climbs into a Godzilla suit, How cool is that?

As I look into the net I see rolling tumbleweeds travelling through an empty blackness as I think I've alienated most of my readers with my historic reminiscing of 70s toys.

No comments: