Monday, July 18, 2005

I've got Gull. You can too!


Gull - close up, head side shot.

A few months ago I went to the beach and attempted to photograph the local gulls. Some of the pictures turned out okay but I felt the eyes were a little blurry. So today I decided to give it another try.


Gull - medium shot.

I tried the same technique. Prefocus the camera, throw a piece of bread with the left hand, wait for the bird to eat the bread or fly towards it, shoot with the right hand. The big change from the last time shooting that made a difference was that it was windy. The wind blowing at my back, head on into the birds, allowed the bird I was shooting to effectively hover in one spot without too much trouble. The hovering allowed me to take more time to focus (after the bread was thrown) with the right hand.


Gull - wide shot

I'm a bit happier with the shots only there wasn't any clouds in the sky for texture. I guess that will have to wait until the next time I go out.

3 comments:

Cupcake said...

Really great portrait shots of the gull. You made rats with wings look majestic and dignified, esp. in the profile shot.

Meguma said...

wow these gulls are so clean and white!! usually they're all mangy and grey... in your pics they look white like doves

Anna Pet said...

Like I said before you are very talented.
You know it is true when you can make seagulls look graceful and delicate.
Have you ever tried to get your pictures published?