Sunday, July 24, 2005

Beach Jazz Festival


Facing east on Queen street during the beach jazz festival

Saturday night. Each year around this time William and Sara host a pot luck dinner that coincides with the Beach Jazz festival. It's very convenient as they live in the beach area. We stuff ourselves with food then wander off to queen street to burn it off while enjoying some good music.

This year the amount of people seemed a bit more overwhelming than the last few years. Between Coxwell and Beach ave (near the fox theatre) the street was just packed. It reminds me of the episode of Star Trek (the mark of gideon) where Kirk beams down to an almost empty Enterprise, there's a girl on it of course, only to find out he's on an over populated planet.


Facing west on Queen street during the beach jazz festival

Once the sun went down picture taking became a bit more difficult. You'd have to resort to using the flash and hope someone didn't stick their arm or head into your picture. I should bring a milk crate or box to stand on next time I'm at one of these things. Maybe even platform shoes or stilts. Now that I think about it my 990 (swivel camera) would be more ideal for taking these types of shots. You don't have to have your eyeball looking through the viewfinder.

As inviting as the beach party is there's always something else that I'm missing that I'll forget about or that has to be skipped because there's just not enough time. The thing I forgot (now it seems five years in a row) being Mike Demonte's birthday party. The thing I missed was the Thin Lizzy show put on by Roger Costa at Monster Records. I even bought a ticket. D'oh!

No comments: